Friday, April 29, 2011

Mixing modern and antique for a fresh look

We went to the inaugural Spring Antique Show of the Art and Antique Dealers League of America at the Park Avenue Armory in New York (on through May 2nd). I was struck by the different feeling in the booth decoration created by the juxtaposition of modern art and antiques.



I loved this booth for it's mix of periods, and the big abstract paintings that give it all a modern fresh look. The Biedermeier chairs in the bottom photo have such wonderful curves.


This antique dresser looks better for the addition of the abstract painting above it. It made me stop to look at the furniture and appreciate the details. I'm not sure I would have spent the time I did if the painting hadn't grabbed my attention.

Mixing modern and antique makes both better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...