Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Auction Inspirations

There are many different levels of auctions - country auctions, high and low estate sales, 'decorative' sales, and then higher art and decoration auctions. The Sotheby's 20th Century Design sale (today) is at the higher end, and contains many name designers from Louis Majorelle to Gio Ponto to George Nakashima. We go to this type of preview for inspiration, and to pine after a few pieces that would be a major investment for us.


Sotheby's 20 Century Design Auction March 16th

This grouping of Jacques Adnet circa 1950 pieces would set the stage for a wonderful mid- century modern living room.

It's much the same as looking at home magazines. I look for inspiration, but rarely have a desire to duplicate a look entirely. I love the way this day bed in Candace Bushnell's apartment makes this room.

Elle Decor: Candace Bushnell Home

 Sotheby's 20th Century Design - Paul Frankl (1928) 'Skyscraper' Day Bed

I was taken by this day bed. It looks so Hollywood to me, and very modern. I love that the designer dubbed it the 'skyscraper'. I could easily see it in pride of place in a living room, and probably re-upholstered in a fabulous fabric of the period. However, I doubt I would want an entire room in matching style. A focal point would be enough (and if I had the $20 - 30k that it was estimated for!).

For an overall Art Deco look this Tuxedo Park estate had it all. 


Elle Decor Art Deco Style Living Room

The decor in this living room is both comfortable yet full of Art Deco pieces that catch the eye. The ceiling fixtures are especially interesting.



Sotheby's 20th Century Design Sale

This grouping is mostly designed by Andre Sornay (ca. 1950), and I liked the chairs in particular. They probably fit in the category of chairs to look at rather than sit in, but very decorative nonetheless.

I am more and more taken with 20th Century design (the whole century!), and have my eye out for that one piece that will make a statement (an that we can afford!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...