Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Art Deco Style at Auction

I've mentioned that my style is evolving and I am much more attracted to Deco and mid-century than I ever was before. I don't want to live in the Hollywood deco of the 30s, but I would like to add a few pieces to my modern house that we're building.


Architectural Digest March 2010

When I look at a picture like this I am particularly drawn to the club chair and the table next to the chaise. The Hollywood version of Deco includes lots of mirrored furniture, and here is a modern version that recalls the height of the era.


Architectural Digest February 2010 - Designer: Craig White

But modern deco inspired spaces need not be quite so Hollywood. The French Art Deco was elegant and focused on clean lines and beautiful detailing. Think Jules Leleu and Louis Majorelle.


Architectural Digest October 2006 - Designers: Shelton Mindel

This space reminds me of the clean lines of Deco where the details matter more than anything. It's clean, but not too spare to lack interest. 

One more modern deco before moving on to auctions!


House Beautiful - Designer: Marshall Watson

The room is accented with the dark door trim and the dark wood on the comfortable club chairs. The lines are clean and modern. 

Doyle NY has a very interesting auction coming up April 20th - Doyle + Design. It has lots of deco style furniture that got me very excited when I looked at the on-line catalogue. 



















Both of these sets of chairs scream deco. I love the lines and the mixing of the brown and black wood and leather. The set on the left is just described as a pair of French 20th century club chairs (Lot 89) with an estimate of $3,000 - $5,000. The pair on the left above are described as Art Deco Style Tub Chairs (Lot 117) with an estimate at the opposite end of the spectrum of $300 - $500! Must need to be seen to check the condition and quality. 

For a wackier version that would certainly prompt conversation try these.


These are also called Art Deco style (Lot 110), and are estimated at $1,500 - $2,000.

Finally a couple of tables caught my eye.



















Both of these tables are very elegant, with clean lines. The Occasional Table above left (Lot 156) is French 20th century and is made of rosewood, mirror and metal. It is estimated at $400 - $600. The Art Deco Style 'library table' (Lot 87) is French 20th century and is made of rosewood. I love the curves and overall balance of the table. It is estimated at $1,500 - $2,000. 

I can easily see adding any of these pieces to a home to give it a modern style update!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...